Friday, July 13, 2007

Google thinks I'm malware

While looking through multiple pages of results from a Google query that contained some operators like negations and "site:" specifications, Google was periodically failing to give results or displaying raw HTML in my browser, then ultimately came back with:

Google
Error

We're sorry...

... but your query looks similar to automated requests from a computer virus or spyware application. To protect our users, we can't process your request right now.

We'll restore your access as quickly as possible, so try again soon. In the meantime, if you suspect that your computer or network has been infected, you might want to run a virus checker or spyware remover to make sure that your systems are free of viruses and other spurious software.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and hope we'll see you again on Google.



But no, there's no malware doing these queries, it's just me.

4 comments:

Jon Fleming said...

Haave you seen http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2007/07/reason-behind-were-sorry-message.html?

Lippard said...

Thanks for the pointer, though it didn't really answer the question for me specifically. I suspect my being behind a web proxy with many other users may be part of the issue, but I was getting the error consistently for the one query (at about five pages in to the results), and not for any others.

Jon Fleming said...

When I visited your blog today, I got this popup: http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/JonF/?action=view¤t=Lippard.png.

Have you been hacked?

Marcin said...

@Jon: Could it be that you've been hacked? Looking at the url of the popup, it seems like it may be originating from your own computer. I am not getting any popups from Jim's blog.